Thursday 30 January 2014

Wardrobe Architect - Week 2



Oh I am behind!  It's been a crazy week and I've only just got around to blogging last week's Wardrobe Architect and now the next one has just been posted!

The Husband has been away for work, throwing all of our precarious childcare arrangements into disarray, so I've been working through lunchtimes (when I usually blog) so I can leave early or come in late.  Thanks goodness he is back today!

So on to Wardrobe Architect week 2!

This week is about identifying words that describe how we feel about our style and ourselves and attach images to them.

When you are wearing your favourite clothing, how do you feel?

 Confident, slim, put together, stylish, quirky, attractive

When you are wearing something that is not quite right, how do you feel?  What are the feelings you want to avoid about the clothes you wear?

 Uncomfortable, restricted, fidgity, exposed, judged

Who do you consider to be your style icons?  What is it about them that appeals to you?

 Jane Birkin - laid back, carefree but still glamorous
Daisy Lowe (and actually Pearl Lowe too!) - mixes vintage and modern with a bit of an edge
Alexa Chung - also mixes vitage and modern with lovely detailing and cute accessories
Lou Douillon - quirky and rebellious
Karen Gillan - vintage style with a bit of a modern edge

What are some words that describe things you like in theory, but are not quite you?

 Fashionable, loose, funky, urban, minimal

Under this, I also noted that I love Audrey Hepburn and the way she dressed, but it's just not me at all.  I wouldn't suit her style.  I thought about why this was and I think it is that she had a very clear style that was totally her, and she always stuck to it.  She was always beautifully chic (of course it helps if Givenchy dress you!), wearing plain coloured, slim fitting styles that really showed off her petite figure.  So a clear style seems to me to be really important.

Looking at answers from week 1, list 15 words that you associate with your answers

 Difference, confidence, ethical, practical, standing out, focus, clear, dual purpose, work, home, child-friendly, music, slow fashion, quality, balance

Are there any words you would add to this list? What other words describe your core style?

 Vintage, modern (since these 2 are a bit contradictory I am interpreting it as mixing vintage with modern), rebellion

If you had to narrow your list to 3-5 words to describe your style what would they be?

Vintage
Modern Twist
Practical
Confident
Great accessories!

Here's my moodboard, broadly collated from my Happy Wardrobe Project Pinterest board (which you can find here if you like).  I skipped the pics of dresses on their own or on models in favour of real people or characters as I think it gives a better feel for how the looks might actually be worn.


Now onto the next task!

8 comments:

  1. Oooh, good pick on Karen Gillan as a style icon, she always looks fabulous. Mind you the stunning long legs and equally stunning long hair help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she always looks amazing (despite pulling a funny face in the pic i chose of her!).

      Delete
  2. Great post! I find it interesting that you chose "judged" as a word. I really relate to that! This is making for great reading, so looking forward to seeing where it takes you next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i didn't think of it at first but it is probably the word which most sums up how i feel - that in the "wrong" clothes people are looking at me thinking "she looks fat in those jeans". thanks helen!

      Delete
  3. I've been trying to figure out what I mean by vintage & modern too, thanks for your vintage with a modern-twsit take, that works for me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad to have helped! i can't do full-on vintage - i'm far to lazy to tame the hair into submission and i don't really wear heels. so vintage with a modern twist it is!

      Delete
  4. Yup. Judged is a good word. I love reading your take on this, it's fascinating. Particularly when we can sew the same pattern but come at it from different angles or reasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks VK. it is so interesting how different everyone's versions of a pattern can be!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!