Monday 22 September 2014

The long awaited Moneta


I sewed this forever ago, but as you have probably noticed, finding time to blog things recently has been difficult!

I made this Moneta from Colette Patterns for our holiday to Sicily back in August, and it's great to look back on the beautiful scenery and lovely weather!  The pictures are on the island of Stromboli (an active volcano) where we went on a boat trip.

There seemed to be a lot of relatively similar knit dress patterns released by the indies this summer, and although I probably could have hacked this myself, I decided to go the convenience route.  I also love this neckline - it's perfect for me, and the downloadable collar options sealed the deal!  Annoyingly I don't have a pic of the cute crossover collar at the back so you'll need to imagine.




It's a simple knit bodice with no darts and a gathered skirt.  I lengthened both the bodice and skirt by 2" based on measuring the pattern pieces - this is a standard adjustment for me,  The only fitting issue I had was some gaping under the arms.  To get rid of it, I pinched it out at the side seam - it's not perfect but it worked OK.

I'm not sure about the gathering method used on the skirt - it calls for clear elastic to be stretched and sewn to the skirt which gathered it up when the stretch is released.  It really wasn't that easy to do.  I'll probably give it another go on another version I have planned, but I suspect that other gathering methods may be just as easy.

This pattern is a total fabric hog for such a simple knit dress!  I had bought 2.5 metres of this cotton jersey from Goldhawk Road without checking the fabric requirements, but as it's a self lined bodice, the pattern calls for close to 3 yards.  With my length adjustments, I wouldn't have had enough to line, so I overlocked the armhole edges and turned inside.  I finished with a double needle.


An arty shot from my husband - he loved that the writing on the wall matched the dress!
I love this dress - the fabric is quite weighty and the skirt swishes really nicely,.  It's quick and easy to make, and I have a winter version in the works now that the weather is getting colder.  I had plans for a striped version too but didn't manage to find the right fabric.  Maybe for next summer!


8 comments:

  1. This looks great Joanne! I love the colour, and the location is pretty special too! I've also got some red jersey for a version but only bought 2 metres, hopefully I can squeeze it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks kathryn! 2 metres might be a squeeze (although it might have been my length adjustments that made it take so much - plus i think only the sleeveless version has a lined bodice)

      Delete
  2. Lovely colour! Beautiful dress, and the scenery is pretty fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jenna - i wish i was back there at the moment!

      Delete
  3. That colour is amazing on you! What a stunning location too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one turned out so well. The red really looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the red fabric! Really suits you. I'd probably gather your own way next time but I'm a rebel haha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!